Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Date full of Escape Clauses

A bizarrely attractive blonde woman contacted me over Match.com recently. So we got to it over the email…I was charming witty, dangerous and flirty…everything I’m not in real life. It was great and she was pumped. She did not have a profile available for viewing. Which I found odd, I mean what’s the point of being on match.com if no one can see your face and bombard you with emails?

A few weeks ago I had bought 1, single ticket to a Julieta Venegas concert. I was convinced I could not talk anyone into going with me so I bought one, single solitary ticket. Because there was no one else involved in the purchase I also convinced myself that it was two Fridays ago and then last Friday.

She asked me what I was up to on Friday and my lame explanation that I was going to a concert by myself just was not flying…then I realized my ticket was for the 1st. I mellowed out and agreed to meet up with her at 10pm at a bar. She had somewhere to be midnight.

Escape Clause #1 – If I’m lame, she takes off and goes to meet up with friends no problem…

Our drinks were great. She revealed that she did not drink that much and I revealed that I drink far too much but that I’m being good for Lent.

I asked about the private thing on with her match.com profile. I asked her in an indirect way, I asked how many emails she got an hour.

She was unnerved. I left it alone

Eventually she warmed up to my vibe. She asked if I wanted to go to the concert. I got past the first escape clause

At the bar where the concert was happening, we encounter her friend. Her friend knew the score. She came over and over the music I could make out her asking my date if I was on the up and up. She said yes.

Escape Plan #2 If I pass the first test but later prove to be wack or cannot be shaken, there’s her friend to bail her out…There I was shooting past the second buffer of security.

Drinks with the band after the show was fine…at the end she had a ride set with her friend and took off with it.

I ran off to meet with some dudes who were getting falafels down the street she called me back.

“Where are you? Do you want to split a cab?”

I was waiting for a falafel so I said no and mentioned I was several blocks away. But somehow I made it past the last escape plan…a win’s a win’s a win…