Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Tracy and Hepburn: Outdated TV Review

I must admit, I am a sucker for the happy ending.

I finally got around to watching the last Sex and the City last night. Damn, I misted up worse than I did that one time my mom sucker punched me after I made fun of her hairdo.

I loved that Carrie didn't stay in Paris. The City is NY, not Paris. A writer movng to Paris is SO 1922. Honestly, I don't know that I approve of the impact the show has had, I am pretty sure the Marina section of SF is entirely the fault of SATC and for that alone someone should be punished. Besides, is it really appropriate for 40 year old women to go out on a friday night, get drunk and shout about penis all night? I don't think so.

But really, the show captured a moment in time really well. I never watched the show until I moved in with Manolo in late 2000 and became hooked. I could never admit it, because i spent the whole half hour mocking Manolo and Mr. NonCommital for watching this "show for old chicks who haven't gripped reality", but really I was really digging it. Carrie would go on a date to Bungalow 8, I was just at Bungalow 8 the week before. They'd be at Sushi Samba, I would have just been there. It was all very dot.com era, all very posh, all very "how great is this new scrubbed down, ritz NY". I was there, I saw, I knew.

But that moment passed, jsut like my time in NYC passed, I was done there and the show was done for me. Still I'm glad it ended, and I think it ended the right way, Carrie and Big (why was he called big anyway? because of his member? or his wallet? I hope to one day earn the name Big, i'll take either reason). Its all very Tracy and Hepburn....

Besides, Chris Noth rocks....I've been drunk enough to get tossed from the Cutting Room, and I didn't.