Sunday, December 21, 2003

HITTING THE WALL

For once, I write about hitting the wall and it's not me doing the hitting. Maybe that's a good sign for the upcoming year. Actually, since you've all been good boys and girls this year (HAH!), I have TWO hitting the wall stories to share...

One. On Thursday night, we had our company holiday party. It was great... open bar, the whole thing. You know. The only downside is that people had to come in to work the next day and as you'd expect, everyone was hurting to various degrees. I think the prize for Most Hurting went to this girl...

Girl: You don't know how much I'm hurting today.

Me: Well, we're all hurting.

Girl: No, you don't understand. Have you ever had to take a nap in the shower?

Me: Umm, no.

Girl: I was showering this morning and I realized that I just couldn't get through it. I went and napped in the shower.

Me: Wait. You were lying down in the shower?

Girl: Yeah.

That was great. I was picturing her naked and passed out in the shower. Hot.

Two. On Saturday morning I ran a race in Central Park. It was the "Holiday Run For Kids 4-Miler." I'm not sure what the For Kids element was all about, but there certainly were lots of kids entered in the race.

Shortly after the race started, I ran past a kid and someone who was probably his dad. The kid stopped his stride, threw his hands in the air and then slapped them down on his sides. Then he huffed in exasperation, "A mile is a long way!"

To which his dad responded, "You're not even at a mile yet! C'mon let's go!!!"

That's some tough love right there, but I think his dad did the right thing. Kids need to learn what toughness is all about.