Monday, October 06, 2003

Wednesday I was at Bar of the Week with a bunch of classmates. Normally, I sit these things out because I would much rather, sit around, watch Angel and dwell on some classic thought (Kant, St. Augustine...you name it)
But I had run into a first year who was a friend of mine from before when we worked together. She claimed to have never gone to a BOW. I felt obligated to correct that so I dragged her along as I made my presence felt.
Immediately i gravitated towards the TV. Pedro was done after 135 pitches. Someone from New England looked at me judgingly and asked me where my alligences lay. I thought about it for a second...

Because I am a Mets fan
I hate the Yankees
Because I hate the Yankees
I like to see the Yankees loose.
There are lots of Yankee haters in Boston
I like rooting for Manny and Pedro for reasons I have never really figured out
I live in the East Bay about 5 minutes from where the As play
I am rooting for the Red Sox over the As?

Yeah I'm not sure why either. F****ing Yankees!

Generic East Bay Plan #1

My saturday drifted dangerously towards Swingers territory.

I was on a panel in the early morning so most of my day was shot. I spent a ridiculous amount of the afternoon drifting from my bed to the couch and back finding new ways to fall asleep. I managed to sleep thru most of A's vs Red Sox Game
(go sox?!?!?!)

Just as Trot Nixon hit the game winning homerun a friend of mine showed up. I never asked but I imagined his girlfriend was out of town and that's why he was coming through. He was kicking himself for coming between innings. i was kicking myself for sleeping through it . I was also trying to find some lucidity. He asked who hit it, looking at the screen I said "Mueller, no...Miller...Varitek?"

"Oh, Trot Nixon...huh?"

He, one of my roommates and I decided we would come up with a plan for the evening as I basked in the glow of a Red Sox win and wondered if Pedro would pitch again.

We ended up at Le Cheval for dinner and sat around and stared at two distinct groups of people. Since Le Cheval is upscale Vietnamese, its mostly upscale east bay asians. however, in the mix were a crowd of single, six ft tall white women. My roommate found it strange and sad, in a way that a table of 3 single upscale males eating dinner together is also strange. Additionally there was a couple there where a woman had her entire arm adorned with a huge elaborate tatoo.

After dinner we swung over the Lucky Lounge which at best looks like a swinging singles joint from the seventies and at worst looks like a dive with ratty couches.

Me in the 97 Jetta parked in between an A8 and a Lamborgini.

We walked in and stood around trying to attract attention.

Eventually the same two crowds of people that we had spied at Le Cheval showed up. Biker Chick and the Lonely Hearts Club invaded the Lucky Lounge to over pay for drinks and pretend they live in NY.

Was this the generic East Bay plan? Apparently...who knew...good thing i live close to the city.