Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Cowboy Up!

Is that phrase over? I didn't get a memo on it. Still the spirit of the statement rings true. I want Boston to win! And its not even this whole "F*** the Yankees" sort of vibe anymore. I mean its still at least partially that, and Derek Jeter still sucks, and Gay-Rod will never really be a Yankee, but more than rooting against the Yanks, this year I am for the Red Sox. This collection of morons and misfits have actually grown on me. Everything from The "What would Johnny Damon Do?" tee-shirts to Manny casual brilliance to Pedro's obsession with the little folk lead me to want to root for the Red Sox. The hair is the best part, the hair is what makes them the "Anti- Yankees", while wanna-be hippies like Giambi have to straighten up when the join the Yanks. The Red Sox proudly display their differences, and no one is more different than Pedro!

Last month, when Pedro called the Yanks his daddy, some people thought "wow, the Yankees finally did it! The sunk Pedro, this once proud Dominican has been laid low by the modern day incarnation of Murderers Row."

My cousin, a proud Yankee fan, had a different analysis: "That guy is crazy, what's wrong with him?"

Of course, Pedro was just messing with us, he has no genetic link to the Yankees at all, the 2004 Yankees did NOT in fact jump in a time machine and run a train on his mother 33 years ago. At least, Pedro doesn't think that. He was just messing with them, using all the guile and smarts he has to gain back even a bit of his old majesty, as his body starts to fail him. I can't watch Baseball on TV, it makes me ant to poke my eyes out, but I always want to watch Pedro pitch, petulant and angry, he comes at you with everything, his arm his back and especially his head. I was the only guy who had his back when tossed Zim around like a sack of potatoes last year, and remain in his corner.

Schilling may be the ace, but he's not the heart of the red sox that's still Pedro.

Sox in 6?