Monday, August 30, 2004

What’s in a name?

As mentioned in a previous post, the VMAs were in town this past weekend and I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the MTV VMA Block Party. I have no idea why I went…its not like I care who these people are and as a few of our readers will attest, I know very little about pop culture. The little I know I have picked up from hanging out with Xtian and my knowledge base mainly revolves around which videos have the most scantily clad voluptuous women. By the way, it’s usually the hip hop videos…

So there I am and I don’t know which end is up. Usher was there (who from what I hear it’s now supposed to be a gangsta rapper) and Jojo and Lil Jon were at one of the other stages…I also saw Puff Daddy who I knew from that “Every breath you take” song. Anyways, trying to fit in with the younger crowd I give a shout to Puffy. Two girls turn around, rolled their eyes and chastised me for calling him Puffy. “It’s P. Diddy now!”

The point of the story is to see if anyone remember a few years ago when Xtian announced that henceforth he was to be billed as Xtian and not the shorter version of his name which is what everybody called him? Does anyone also remember his attempts at variations of his name? He would use his middle name or his mother’s maiden name...

Word was that Xtian, who once seemed so cavalier about his name, was known to sternly admonish those who dare address him as X to “please call me Xtian”. I want to know if anyone got chastised for calling him plain old “Chris”…I certainly did…

Xtian’s stab at respect by changing his name from a diminutive to its more formal version was clearly an attempt to gain credibility and to lend him a much-needed air of maturity but the question we ask today was that the right move? I know it worked for Marky Mark (shout to Entourage on HBO) but did it work for Xtian? Does anyone actually respect him? Does anyone think of him as mature?

We have Sean Combos changing it to P. Diddy and we have Jennifer Lopez to JLo and who knows who else…Is Xtian going to go back to the shorter version once VH1 and MTV comes on knocking…

Anyways, going back to the VMAs, it was too hot, and I was too far from the red carpet so I went home and watched the Olympics Closing Ceremonies…Go Beijing 2008!