Monday, September 15, 2008

I like to watch - Fringe



Come for the Pacey, stay for a show that looks to be the illegitimate lovechild of Alias and Lost.

JJ Abrams returns to baffle us with yet another mystery that he won't reveal very quickly. Yes there is a conspiracy afoot, but unlike Lost it won't take us 4 seasons to realize its there. Oddly enough the only people who can solve it are a super smart Joshua Jackson and his father, a schizophrenic genius who experimented on everything in the lat 70s. They are supported by Lance Reddick (The Wire, Lost) and a very untalented but pretty actress who I have never seen before. I can't reveal too much about the show itself. I will just say the two hour premiere was worth a watch.

In a recent article, JJ admitted that he has learned a lot about storytelling from working on Lost and is making a concerted effort to make this show more episodic, with a serial backdrop. That sound very X-Files to me. I approve so far.

Also, I am glad to see alums of the Wire doing so well. First, Tristan Wilds shows up as the new (black) Brandon Walsh on 90210 and now Reddick showing up here. Good to see these actors getting their due after toiling in obscurity for so long.


Fringe airs Tuesdays at 8pm on Fox