Friday, September 05, 2008

Evil's Epic Collapse



Hose readers are no strangers to Evil's huge claims on a range of matters from weight loss to Scrabble. Well, turns out we can expect fewer big shot posts from him now. Above you'll see the play-by-play results of our first ever Hose ScrabblePalooza Invitational. After drawing "Z" on the opening rack ("razed" for 34 points) and scoring 79 points on his 4th move ("quoit" - whatever that is) Evil jumped out to a commanding lead. I knew I had a tough road ahead. He clearly was feeling very confident too, as he started 'chatting' with gems such as "jerk", "that's such a gay word", "butthead", "you've got a huge douche coming", "why don't you just forfeit", and "you're so dumb".

I tried not to let these distract me, however, and just kept trying to play good solid scrabble. You can see from the graph that I'm remarkably consistent, while Evil is anything but. Towards the end I made one last push to tighten things up. I played "anthem" (while also getting credit for "dent") for 32 points, but this left me with just 2 tiles, H and E. Evil came back with "bloom" on a triple word score for 21 points (at which point he told me I was gay again). But did I have a move in store! Down 36 points with just two tiles left I created 3 words ("Her", "He", and "Bee"), including 2 on a double word score tile. Final score, KillerB 335, Evil 332.