Monday, September 08, 2008

Date or Die: More than enough Spirituality

I was soaking wet. She laughed because I did not have an umbrella. She had gone so far as to email me on Friday suggesting I bring an umbrella. She was still laughing. I mumbled something silly. She could not hear it over the rain. I repeated

"It was sunny when I left home. The optimist in me refused to believe that it would rain. I hate carrying an umbrella in the sun. It's like you are hoping for the worst"

"what?"

It was a lie of course. Who thinks something like that? I just forgot it. But this answer made for a much better story. I have a gift for small lies. Its part of my charm.

We started with brunch. She thought the time was too short so she invited me to the New Museum with her to continue our conversation. It was, of course, preposterous and I love modern art.

She was daring me to venture in the rain. At the street corner, after her small laugh, she handed me her umbrella and asked me to hold it for her as we walked down the street. She listed a series of errands to run where we could keep getting to know each.

At Bloomingdale's, I surprised her with my sense of personal style. Not wanting her to think me gay I kissed her on a couch at Crate & Barrell after I picked out a gift for her friend.

As we parted ways, I said "Next time, we'll do this at night."

"Do what?"

"Go on a date"

"oh...you sure about that."

"I'd bet money. Tell you what, I'll pick the day, you pick the place. I'm assertive but flexible."

"Deal"

She laughed at least till the elevator door closed.