Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Important Conversations: Incredibly Rewatchable Movies

Over the course of a conversation with Catjjy about something else, we drifted into a discussion about the new HBO show Boardwalk Empire, a show that highlights the involvement of Martin Scorsese. Catjjy used this as an opportunity to mention she had recently watched Goodfellas and that it still holds up very well.

I used this as an opportunity to drag Catjjy into a multiday conversation about movies that you can pretty much watch whenever they are on because they hold up so well. Poor Catjjy. Anyway, here is the list
More...
Goodfellas - I think because its a period piece that takes place in the 70s and early 80s its always looked a somewhat dated and therefore will always hold up. I dunno about you, but I always stumble onto this movie in one of two scenes. The single camera shot thru the kitchen of the Copa OR the scene where Ray Liotta narrates over the the bodies of all of DeNiro's co-conspirators in the Lufthansa heist. Both are worth sitting thru and you may as well sit through the scene where Joe Pesci gets whacked, because why the hell not? Am I right?

Heat - I am not sure why Michael Mann is responsible for some many impenetrably dull movies but he is responsible for the single most compelling heist scene ever. No matter what part of Heat I happen upon while flipping channels, I will stick with it right up until Tom Sizemore gets shot up with a 6 year old girl in his hands and only then consider bailing out.

Serenity - The movie no one demanded based on the TV show no one watched. I dragged L3 to see this with me when we lived together and 5 months later watched our roommate watch the movie over and over on HBO. FX always shows it and everytime I have watched someone watch this movie, they always start laughing hysterically and then immediately get shocked by a rather grisly death and basically stick with it till the end. For the life of me, I still don't know why a space cowboy action soap opera never worked on either the large or small screen.

Godfather - The first time I saw the Godfather was on TV and it was godfather part 2 and it was the last 5 minutes when Michael flashes back to his decision to leave Brown and enlist in the army. This was my first introduction to the Corleone family and somehow though it was the last scene of the second film it could have easily been the first scene of the first. This two movie set is awesome, no matter when you happen upon it.

The American President - Something about Aaron Sorkin dialogue is just awesome. This movie is sort of great and its neat to think that all the work that went into this movie eventually became the framework for The West Wing. I sort of like the minor imperfections of actors not being sure how to deliver Sorkin dialogue. Its also the last time I remember seeing my teenage crush Samantha Mathis in a movie. Btw, I think Charlie Wilson's War will make this list some day soon.

Rudy - For Serious, who is going to challenge me on this. If you did not cry the first time you saw them stack their jerseys on the coach's desk then you are not a man and don't know what fellowship is.

I had Training Day on this list but Catjjy disagreed wildly. I want to put Boogie Nights on this list but it never gets on regular cable (why?). I should point out now that no Star Wars movie (ever) is very re-watchable with the possible exception of Empire Strikes back. I recently watched The Inside Man again on TV and enjoyed that more than I thought I would the second time around. Sort of makes me wish that the 25th hour was on TV more.

Do any of you have a movie you think is imminently rewatchable?