Thursday, October 02, 2008

Kinda Fun if You're Really Bored

Google is turning ten. In addition to the pinata hanging in the backyard, they've brought back old timey searching. Not ten year old searching, but 7 year old searching, which isn't bad.

Anyway, I searched for iPod, because it didn't exist then, and sure enough - nothing! Just a reference to IPOD - Initial Public Offering Disorder, which I do recall the nation was suffering a pretty bad case of at the time.

Back in 2001 they were making what must have been a mind blowing claim "Search 1,326,920,000 web pages". These days that would just be kinda cute. They don't show that on the home page any more, but I bet it is a kabillion, if not a quadrillion web pages.

Of course I googled myself, and my existence then amounted to the same as my existence now. Zilch. Stupid algorithm.

Do any Hosers find themselves in 2001?