Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tremendous Upside Potential

Bill Simmons aka the Sports Guy loves talking about Tremendous Upside Potential . During the NBA draft people are always banging on about what an athlete such and such is and he has a vertical that's this tall and a wingspan like this.

A more old school phrase for this is "looks great on paper". People used to always talk about how certain people looked great on paper, that is to say if we drew up their characteristics, people would think that they are a slam dunk for success. In the NFL they talk about Combine Performers, guys who shoot from the fifth round to the first round because they really impress everyone at the combine with their time in the 40 and their bench press even though its basically the same dude who got pancaked on the line in every big 10 game he played.

I think we bring these same concepts to dating. I just noticed this. I'll explain why. Recently at a brunch I met a woman. She was perky and cute. I was not into her because she falls below height requirements but I knew that I could pump up a good friend of mine about her. As I described my friend I realized he looked freaking great on paper.

Here's the list

  • He's an acccomplished cook. He cooked a full Thanksgiving Dinner and executed it flawlessly. He is also a gifted host and was thoughtful about everything from presentation to wines to serve at various points in the day
  • He's a good person, and very funny. Even though he occasionally overdoes it with his homages to me
  • He has a fantastic exciting job and he's very good at it. He's also highly motivated and likely to be a great provider
  • He seems to like kids very much
  • Solid fashion sense, he only occasionally needs a little help, but he did not fall into the trap of being metrosexual, which as a fad lasted about a week
  • He's run a marathon and keeps himself in relatively good shape
That looks freaking great on paper...what the hell? When did that happen?