Thursday, December 21, 2006

The crack den near my apartment also serves coffee

"aw, I knew that was curly top"

There's a baby shrieking at the top of his lungs. He does in fact have a curly top of blonde hair. I'm surprised that his mother is shushing him in spanish. Maybe she's an au pair.

I'm surprised that the woman behind the counter recognizes the boy at all as part of of her regular customer set. What surprises me more is that she has not gone back to take another hit of meth in the 30 seconds since she noted the boy's curly top.

She's clearly a drug addict. Shifty eyes, slurred speech, laughing hysterically and then looking grim when she notices that no one else is laughing. It's sad...no, her lot in life is not sad, what is sad is I don't want her serving me coffee. I find the idea gross, I quickly shift lines to served by a guy far too buff to be serving people coffee at te suburban wonderland that is Panera. Clearly he dedicates 12 hours a day to lifting. His drug must be of the more anabolic variety.

Who knew that Panera Bread Co. hired drug abusers to work the register during the day shift. I mean this place would be a suburban wonderland if someone bothered to snap a still photo, families, babies people reading the paper...its all very normal. Does someone imagine this post modern rockwellian subject matter will do well with drug addicts.

I took a closer look at the people chillin at Panera and my view softened slightly. Their energy and movements gave off a completely different vibe.

Panera seems to have two customer sets:

  • Stressed out moms: About 60% of the patronage are of the MILF variety and 100% of that crowd seems well...let's just say ill fit for motherhood. Their children are completely out of control. screaming, repelling off their mother's bossom and spiralling towrads the floor. The women are talking/shouting at themselves. I want to hide. I want to grab their child and discuss with them them how the best thing for them is to sit in the stroller and not say anything for a long time. If they choose to stare in awe at their fingers/hand/fist that's up to them. Then i would give a bunch of pot to crazed baby's mom and see what happens when she gets a little loose. Then I drifted into a wierd fantasy...these people clearly need drugs. Instead of serving them coffee someone should be serving them ambien (including chewables for the kids)
  • People waiting to die:These people probably have more drugs than they know what to do with. I think they should be part of this new panera value chain as well. I would not be surprised of these old farts were trading their meds for over priced coffee and pastries so the staff there could get off.
I'm now worried that everyone in hoboken is what some would classify as "drug people". This does not bode well for me...the baby is still shrieking, I am hoping that we are thirty seconds from the au pair taking out half a vicoden and shoving it in his mouth...