Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Alone in the Dark with Someone Next to Me

This woman I know rang me yesterday and invited me to a charity wine tasting. The intuitive answer to such an invitation is always "yes". However, occasionally, its with pause. It was Monday after all, and I had to go read with little children early on Tuesday morning.

When she followed up her invite with "Come on, its in our neighborhood" well, let's just say I was in.

I always dig this girl when I see her. Yes, she's batsh*t but you gotta lover her cameron diaz like looks and rock hard "oh, no way you're white" butt. Still I always seem to come across her at very low times in her life. Semi-depressed on a subway platform...that sort of thing. So I keep a distance.

En route to the restaurant (near the scene in the west chelsea club district) we walked passed a few flower gardens that had been recently planted in front of some public housing. We agreed that these few months are the only ones worth bothering with in NY. As we passed an errant vegstable garden, I suggested we scale the Ford Bronco parked up against the fence, jump down and steal some vegstables. She was game...as I said, she's batsh*t but she rocks....

Prior to last night, I have only spent time with her in her apartment. Never in a social setting. I always imagined her to be a ridiculous flirt in public and my insecure inner xTian not being able to deal with the glancing shots at my manhood. All a fabrication of course, I mean who cares. I'm not dating her.

Instead, it was fun...several random comments came out over the course of the evening

"I want to make babies" (said matter of factly not a request for performance)
"you're too cool for school, with your jeans, blazer, faux nerd glasses, height and dark hair"
(sighing)"i've never dated a guy who could afford to buy me dinner"
"i'm a cheap date, I get drunk easy" (guzzling wine)

Somehow, I found this all very charming, even though they were delivered as as a series of non-sequeters used to possibly avoid my very real questions like "hey, how do you pay your rent?"

Later, we found ourselves in the east village with her using my legs for a pillow in an outdoor garden. As we sat there staring at the lack of stars. I wondered what (if anything) I was getting myself into...I would have asked her, but I think she was still trying to decide for herself...