Sunday, December 19, 2004

If we kept her and raised her as our own, would she be a good person?



Last night I met my niece. She's not actually my neice, she's my cousin's child, but I'm going to call her my niece because I'm latin, and us latins have a phrase. it's primos-hermanos, which translates into cousin-brother. Well, Claudie is my "prima-hermana", so Calley is my niece and that's that and screw you guys.

The point is, I met my niece. I was exhausted but it was the most energizing thing I've ever seen. After a week of personal embarrasment I was spent physically and emotionally. My cousin's husband, Chris had decided to throw her a proper baby shower and scheduled it for last night. Not knowing any better, an anxious Calley snuck out a month early. Taking after her uncle, she decided it best to blow off her own welcome party and chose instead to hang out at home contemplating her own hand, and possibly her navel. A fact I learned later, when around midnight, I stopped by the house to properly(if belatedly) welcome her to the world. Expecting to just measure her up and walk out silently I was surprised to see she was quite awake. O.Z. the family dog was up and bouncing off the walls, clearly once again hoping I would be a pal and take out to take a proper crap. Even his energy though could not match hers, there she was, kicking a bit, stretching her legs out as far as humanly possibly. I'm not suer she can see yet, but she was compelled by her hand, she was impressed by her foot, enchanted by her blanket and inquisitive about the ominous mass standing over her, this exhausted, mildly defeated mass who seemed to stand upright at the sight of her, suddenly re-energized by the positive energy she was emmitting.

I stood there for 10 minutes not saying anything, not thinking anything...zoned out by the miracle of life...as I walked out I thought back to that movie, Hurly Burly, and how at the sight of Chazz Palimenterie's baby, Sean Penn sobbng and coked up, wondered if he and his self loathing friends could take this baby and create something positive. I remember the first time I was saw it and how I laughed at how preposterous an idea it was. But I think I've come back around on that idea, after looking at a baby properly, for what feels like the first time, I know that it wasn't such a crazy idea, I mean how could they not?