Monday, May 31, 2004

Outdated Movie Review
TROY

WOW! Was this movie a questionable choice! Let's start by saying that I loved the Illiad. Tough book (epic poem) to get thru? Sure, especially with a blind minstrel singing it to you. But the story rocks hard. I liked the fact that the whole thing took 10 years. I liked the fact that no one seemed to have any redeeming qualities. Here is where this movie went wrong:

The whole thing seemed to take about 3 weeks, if you include the 12 days for Hector's burial ceremony.

Odysseus was played up like a hero, wasn't he somewhat greyer in the real story. Here they play it like he has some sway over Achilles, whereas I always had the impression he just duped him.

What is up with Achilles? Brad Pitt played him like a primadonna sports athlete, and he was too F***ing whiney, toughen up yo!

Anyway, no real love for the movie!

I do think that any summer movie watching list should include the following two films:

Saved

Garden State