Sunday, December 07, 2008

Got Books?

Like many women, the first part of the Sunday NY Times I read is the Sunday Style Section. The above fold article today was about women in book clubs and how they have managed to turn something relatively innocent into a passive/aggressive power play. I found the article pretty boring but the assumption was interesting. Here's why.

This week, I have heard four women mention their book club. I barely registered the first two, because ummm...who cares. However, when Pits brought up her 3 failed book clubs and the hopes she had for the current one I was like "wow, women love their book clubs". Even ET #2, who I thought hated her coworkers, mentioned her workplace initiated book club last night at dinner. ET #2 - don't jump ugly with me, I was not alone in my surprise. Evil was so taken aback he felt the need to confirm "you mean your current coworkers?"

On the other hand, this week a few friends wrote the following comments about "The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" on Facebook.

TMO said: i'm reading this book now and i've realized that Diaz writes like a dominican xTian, right down to the [redacted] roots. do you have a pen name i should know about?

Manolo wrote: I finished this book about a week ago myself...I also thought of xTian quite often as I read it...lots of wide-ranging cultural references...you only get that kind of stuff from The Simpsons and xTian...I can't wait until xTian puts his collection out...I have read some good stuff of his over the years!!!

This got me thinking. I read a ton and I am not alone. These examples aside, I know for a fact that Sparks, Le 3. Evil, KillerB and many more read extensively and that we share taste in books. However, we don't organize and discuss. When we do engage on a book, we make it as awkward as possible. In one recent example, Sparks and I had fairly detailed(15+ exchanges) SMS only discussion of "The Brief Wondrous Life...". Can you imagine a harder way to have this conversation? There's gotta be a better way...

What does this say about the difference in sexes and the nature of friendship? I have no idea! I just felt like showing off; TMO and Manolo apparently love my writing style. Who knew...