Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Manolo Meets The President

No, no, no! I am not talking about King George. I am talking about President Vicente Fox Quesada from the Republic of Mexico. You see, I was in a conference in Mexico City and President Fox was just a few feet from me. I don't know if it was because he is a lame-duck president, only in power for another month or two but for me it wasn't that big a deal. I wonder if I would have felt different if I was actually Mexican.

Before he left though, I was able to extract three places in Mexico that according to him are worth investing...He mentioned Puerto Peñasco in Sonora, La Pesca in Tamaulipas y Champotón in Campeche. He said new airports, miles and miles of new highways and thousands of new condos are being built. In the interests of full disclosure though, I asked him if he owned any property there...he was quickly whisked away by his staff.

One thing that always impresses me every time I am in Mexico is that Mexicans know how to party. Your perfunctory coffee break whether it was at 1:00 PM or 2:00 PM or 4:00 PM severely lacked coffee. Instead, participants were treated to tequila shots and salt-packed Margaritas. I just had to take the ice out of my margaritas to make sure I did not suffer from the Aztec Two-Step aka Montezuma's Revenge.

What else happened? I was there while the NY Yankees were playing the Detroit Tigers...I ended up watching most of the games in the hotel bar the whole time. It actually wasn't that bad because by the middle of my stay, every guest at the hotel knew who I was and by the end of game 4, everyone at the hotel was buying me tequila shots to ease my pain.

What a train wreck!! You know what, memories of their loss just flooded back. I got to go.....