Thursday, August 17, 2006

Asshole Move? Or OK?

Evil

I used to work at a company that makes technology to automate call centers. So essentially, we were in the business of shutting down call centers and putting people out of work. Ugh. Terrible, I know. Anyway, that was years ago. But one interesting learning from that job: I have a better than average knowledge of how call centers work. For example, if you call 800-555-1212 (toll free directory assistance) and ask the operator "What's your name?", by procedure, they have to tell you. You can also ask them "Where are you located?" and they have to tell you that too.

I also know in general how the management structure at call centers work. Most call centers always have a supervisor on duty for a certain number of reps. And if you ask to speak to the supervisor, the reps generally have to transfer you.

Today, I was calling about a late order and found the rep extremely condescending and not helpful. I had her transfer me to her supervisor. I laid out an arguement about how I received service that was "frustrating" and "not at the level I'd expect from the [store name here] brand." I think I used the word "disappointing" at least twice, for emphasis.

In the end this is what I got:

- 10% off of my order for my "inconvenience," plus

- the supervisor telling me he would call the rep into his office tomorrow and "have a talk with her," plus

- a heaping serving of guilt

Was that an Asshole Move? Or OK?