Saturday, September 27, 2003

Perfect Gentlemen

Back in Winter of 2001 I was living in Astoria with Manolo and Bad Will Hunting. On ocassion one of Manolo's pimpalicious friends would show up and drag us with him to Flashdancers. Manolo went far more often than I did, a fact I discovered only after I accidently thought his credit card bill was mine.

Anywho, going to FDs is kind of a slippery slope. Once you start its kind of hard to stop and it becomes the fall back plan for any night that is shaping up to be pretty lame.
Manolo and I had this running joke

10pm (any night of the week)

Me: what are you up to?

Manolo: I dunno. what are you up to?

Me: Nothing. That's why I was wondering what you were up to

Manolo: Nah,man not me. I got nothing.

Then we would book for the door and try to hail a cab and hit FDs. In our defense we probably only got out the door, maybe 2-3 times. But the other 20 times we both knew we wanted to go but neither of us wanted to be the one actually responsbile for spendig all that money.

But like I admitted earlier. We went and pretty often. Besides, for us Astoria types it was really easy. you're in a cab, you're going to midtown anyway because that's where the 59th St Bridge (Queensbridge for y'all who know) is and you know, its a quick right instead of a quick left and BAM! boobage!

These days, 2.5 years later, I am seeing similarly disturbing patterns emerging.
I'm just minding my own, when i hear a few clowns doing a quick exchange:

"New Century?"

"New Century."

(Cut to the Batmoble)
Not that I am actively participating in it. In fact at this point in my life I might be disgusted with the whole scene or maybe just the place that some friends of mine like to go to. I have only been once. When you enter you are given a large fountain cup and when you walk into the joint there is a fountain machine, where you can drink as much HiC or Coke as you want. CLASSY! I have only been once but these cats are rolling over there on the regular. Bit much for my tastes.

As Mr. Shoulders used to say whenever he swung through FDs
"I'll take the Go-Go-Rama on rt 35 any day!"