Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Manolo Is Afraid Of...

Given the sheltered life many of us lead, one doesn’t really know how one will react under pressure. I even like to think I am a bit of a risk taker (except for that girl back in college who I didn’t tell her I liked her until it was too late). Nevertheless, I have always prided myself in not being afraid. I like to think that when the time comes, I will rise to the occasion.

Last night, I went to visit my parents and grab that once a week (sometimes twice) home-cooked meal. Anyway, after a long night of talking and the eating and actually enjoying time with the family (shout out to Xtian and his typical family time), I decided to crash at my parent’s place instead of driving the 20 minutes home.

Everyone had gone to bed so there was no noise whatsoever except for the whoosh/swoosh of the ceiling fan. Almost undergoing an out of body experience, I saw my body shift to a defensive posture and move towards the other side of the bed. I suddenly came to the painful realization that there is something I am indeed afraid of…I am afraid of ceiling fans!!!

When I was a little kid, I would throw rubber balls or paper planes with Crayola colored US Air Force insignia at the ceiling fans in my house. I guess the damage those little planes suffered has scarred me for life because I am afraid that the ceiling fan is going to give way and fall on top of me, or that the blades will tomahawk my head off, or that the individual blades will give way and impel themselves in my soft tender body.

Anyway, now that I know my fear, I do feel better and I realize I don’t have to be afraid anymore. I just need to make sure the damn suckers are off…